Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chains

I hate ultimatums
I hate asking you to choose

I hate coming to the realization
That I may not be invincible

I hate the thought that
There is still so much to lose

You say I'm perfect, but
I'm really not that strong

I may be able
To say and do

All the right things
But for how long?

My love may be unwavering
But so is their resistance

And I may even
Handle it better

If there was
A little distance

Instead I have to stand two feet away
And not reach out my hand

I have to watch you cry
Knowing I can't offer my arms

All because they
Refuse to understand

I'm not asking for approval
And I never will

Even though I earned it when
I was finally given the chance

But really
What has changed?

Is that supposed to
Make me happy?

So what they're smiling at me
When the tighten the chains?