Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Battle Continues

I don't think
You really lead me on

I think you were honestly
Planning on giving me a chance

If you weren't
You wouldn't have come back for the flowers

If you weren't
You wouldn't have needed

To drink me away every night
Before you made that call

If you weren't
You wouldn't have told me

About all of the things
You weren't happy with

Because why would
It have mattered?

If you were just
Going to leave anyway?

But someone convinced you
That it was the right thing to do

Even though you knew in your heart
That it wasn't

And I will go to my grave
Believing that

Not because of
Everything I just said

But because of those three words
You whispered in my ear

On our last night together
When you thought I was sleeping

You can claim everything else
Is based in assumptions

But go ahead
Please try to dispute that

There's no way
That you can

But I suppose
That it doesn't matter

Because by the time
The battle was over

And all the dust
Had settled around you

You just couldn't bear
To give up your pride

And come back
Admitting it was the right thing

So the battle continues
But I must admit

I wonder which one of us you're hurting more.