Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Thank You Letter

You saved me
From her and from myself

And not just on the first night when we got back from her place
And I took off my belt and handed it to you

And we both knew the impact of that gesture
Without having to say a word to each other

But you stayed when no one else would
When no one else could

You never stopped listening
Never stopped telling me it would all be okay

You never took your eyes off of me
Once you found out where I was

You tried so hard
To make it better

You lifted my spirits
With "Mr. Jones"

Telling me that if everybody loves me
I can never be lonely

You even drove me to the last place I wanted
But the first place I needed to go

I don't know how
You handled it

But I am forever grateful
For what you did

You saved my life
You gave me a reason to stay

When I thought
She was the only one I had

I still listen to that song
When I think about ending it

To remind myself
That we will always have each other

That I could never do to you
What she did to me